Prague

First, let me start by saying "dobry den" which means hello in the Czech language since my next destination is the beautiful city of Prague in the Czech Republic! I didn't have any scheduled appearances in Prague, however, since we passed right through it on our way to Budapest my mom and I thought we should stop for a few days to check it out. This proved to be a great decision because it was honestly one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. The vision of this city as we crossed the infamous Vltava River was nothing short of spectacular! I have never seen anything like it- EVER. There were medieval castles, cathedrals, clock towers, and intricately carved marble statues for as far as the eyes could see. It looked like a page ripped straight out of a fairy tale book.

Aerial view of the Vltava River & Charles B ridge

The very first thing I saw when entering Prague was the Charles Bridge, and let me assure you, this is no ordinary bridge. To the contrary, it is a historical work of art. In my opinion, Webster's dictionary needs to come up with a new and improved definition to accurately describe this stone gothic masterpiece. Back in the 1300's the Czech king and Holy Roman Emperor, Charles IV commissioned the construction of this bridge. Rumor has it that egg yolks were actually mixed into the mortar to strengthen the construction of this bridge! It has survived many storms, floods, and natural disasters so this could be true or simply an old wives tale- I'll let you be the judge!

A total of 30 baroque statues line both sides of the bridge. The oldest and most well known statue is one of St. John of Nepomuk, who was a Czech martyr saint who was executed and thrown into the Vltava river from this very bridge. There is a plaque positioned directly on the statue which has been polished by the countless people who have touched it over hundreds of years.

Early Morning on the Charles Bridge

This reminds me of the ancient bronze statue of St. Peter (inside St. Peter's Cathedral in Vatican City, Rome) which I'll discuss in a later blog when I share my stories about my visit to Italy. People come from near and far to touch his right foot for good luck and blessings! And in case you're wondering, I was a little superstitious and touched the plaque too, hoping for continued good luck in life!

Vehicles are prohibited on this bridge because each day it is filled with musicians, Czech artists, and vendors selling hand made goods. In fact, I purchased a few pieces of authentic Czech jewelry that I absolutely love right there on the Charles bridge! The view was spectacular because it allowed us to see the nearby Prague Castle, the river, and the city skyline all at once. What a sight to behold!

Buying Handmade Jewelry From a Street Vendoron the Charles Bridge

We quickly checked into our hotel, The Sheraton Charles Square Hotel, which is ideally located just steps away from all the galleries, museums, theaters, restaurants, and nightlife! Without wasting anymore time we headed out for our first taste of Prague.

Having a Little Fun in a Marionette Shop

The next sight we took in was that of The Old Town Hall and the Astronomical Clock. The Old Town Hall was built in 1338 and is one of the most striking buildings in all of Prague. The Astronomical Clock was added on during the 15th century and is located to one side of the Old Town Hall Tower. Below this huge clock are 12 medallions with the signs of the zodiac. Inside is a staircase and an elevator, which can be climbed or ridden all the way to the top for a panoramic view over the Old Town Square. I took advantage of this opportunity and can honestly say that it was worth every penny! Talk about a birds eye view!
Astronomical Clock

Next, on the agenda was a trip to Prague Castle. This well known architectural treasure is one of the largest castles in the entire world and is also where the Kings, Emperors, and Presidents of Czechoslovakia have each had their offices. The Crown Jewels are housed here, too! While there I was able to witness the changing of the guard at the ornately adorned castle gates.

Changing of the Guard at Prague Castle

I also attended mass in the gothic style St. Vitus Cathedral. It was all spoken in Czech, so unfortunately, I didn't understand what was being said. Nonetheless, simply being in this ancient and beautiful church was profoundly moving.

St. Vitus Cathedral

And as I always do in every cathedral I enter, no matter where I am in the world, I took a moment to light a memory candle in honor of my grandpa Mike. Even though he's gone I still keep him alive in my heart and in my prayers.

Lighting a Candle for My Grandpa Mike

After we visited the castle we began walking down the century old stone pavered streets of Prague. It was like a moment frozen in time from thousands of years ago. Horse drawn carriages carrying passengers were idly passing by, buildings adorned with ornate balconies, turrets, and fabulous spires were abound, and the gentle sound of music was floating on the breeze. At first we didn't know where it was coming from but we were quickly approached by a local man who handed us a brochure and invited us to enter St. Nicholas Church to enjoy an afternoon musical. It was awesome!

Later, we stopped to have dinner in a delightful little restaurant called "U Mecenase". This restaurant is very well known for its authentic Czech cuisine but also for the history that is attached to it. Upon the wall is centuries old parchment paper from the King in 1609 declaring it to be the best place in town. Right above where I sat, in a seat next to the kitchen door, was a name scrawled on the wall. It was hand written and dated in 1674 and was signed by Jan Mydlao, the chief executioner of Prague at the time. His authentic axe actually hangs on the wall above the inscription.

Town Executioner's Axe from the 1600s

This was really cool, but at the same time, it did make me feel a little bit uneasy, after all, I was eating dinner with an executioner's axe above my head!!! Boy, was I thankful to be living in the year 2010!

With Mom at U Mecenese Restaurant (Notice the Axe Above our Heads)

Later in the week we were encouraged to have dinner at a well known local restaurant called La Bodeguita Del Medio. This proved to be an interesting experience! We were looking over our menus and trying to decide what to order when we looked over and saw two white rabbits in a wire cage, right there inside the restaurant in plain sight! Could it possibly be that these furry little friends were akin to Lobsters that you see in a tank just before they cook them for your dinner? The thought made me shudder because I'm a total animal lover. I had to ask, and when I did, the waiter let out the loudest laugh I've ever heard! He told us that they are just pets and couldn't contain his urge to laugh for a really long time. Pretty embarrassing I know, but, who knew?

Bunnies at La Bodeguita Del Medio

Long story short is that we ordered lobster, which was honestly the largest and most delicious I've ever had anywhere and avoided the thought of rabbit all together! Toward the end of dinner our waiter asked us why we were visiting Prague and we told him about my title as Miss Teen International and that I was traveling all over the world to make appearances and speak about my platform of dyslexia.

Delicious Lobster at La Bodeguita Del Medio

The next thing we knew, the owner came out and introduced himself, and asked for an autographed picture with me. He then gave us our dinner free of charge and invited me back the next evening to sign autographs and meet and greet patrons of the restaurant. I was happy to do this and the turn out was great!!! The people of Prague were amazing, the food was spectacular, and the charm and allure of this "frozen in time" city was definitely in a league all its own!

Nashle (Until next time),

Jessica Byington

Comments

  1. Wow looks amazing. The bunnies are adorable and that lobster looks so good!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts